Monday, April 01, 2013

Juicing

I'm starting add juicing into my diet more. Initially I was going to do a juice fast, but that idea didn't last long. I'm going to be replacing 1-2 meals a day with juce and eating as healthfully as possible at my "food" meals.

Last night, I made a tasty dessert style juice (ie, more fruit than vegetable). This was 1 naval orange, 1 blood orange, 2 grapefruits and about 1 large carrot. I know "they" say not to juice grapefruits because of its possible interactions with some medicines, but none of mine interact so I'm not worrying about it. Sadly my grandma did have to stop eating grapefruits years ago due to medication interactions, she used to love them so much!


This is my first juice for today, a kind of V8 style juice, and my first time juicing many of these vegetables: Tomatoes, carrots, celery, cucumber, red and green bell pepper, red onion, garlic, broccoli, parsley, cilantro. I tasted it like that and wanted it to be a smidge sweeter, so added one red apple. The first drink seemed very oniony/garlicy, but after that all I could taste was deliciousness! I'm pleased with this one, and it made a lot of juice, at least 3 of the glasses you see below.


I had bought some fruits/veggies to juice a week or two ago, so I have the tail end of that plus a quick trip I did this morning where I scored some great prices on a bag of yams, and bags of fuji and granny smith apples. I didn't like the looks of the cucumbers and I just used my last one, so I'll have to come up with something else for my next few juices since I don't plan to get more groceries until Wednesday.

My favorite, go-to juice is my Green Juice: cucumber, romaine lettuce, spinach, granny smith apple, carrots, lemon. It's so yummy! Sometimes I leave out the carrots, but they are so good and so inexpensive that I try to fit them in whenever I can.

I found a few recipes yesterday that used yams/sweet potatoes. I've never juiced those before but will soon!

Shopping List:
Cucumbers
jalapeno
tomatoes
romaine
spinach
greens
beets

No comments: