I joined the Aiming for Accuracy Quilt Along earlier this year and was working on two sets of blocks. One was this colorway of purple, aqua/turquoise, yellow, pink, and gray with a medium gray sashing. I didn't really have plans for either one, but was having fun working on them. I got behind in the QAL at the end of the summer though. A month or two ago I decided that this one would be a nice Christmas present for my boyfriend's parents, so I started working on it!
I had some problems with the borders and ended up just doing a
single border. Also, the quilt is upside down in all the pics. D'oh!
Not that it matters that much, but since I was following a pattern I've
been used to seeing it the other way!
Close-up of Crossword puzzle fabric on the back and quilting:
The quilt is about 52" x 77" which is a little bit
bigger than I care to quilt on my machine at home, so I quilted it on
the quilting frame at a local shop. It was my second time quilting a
quilt on the frame and my first time doing so by myself (my friend who
teaches there was alongside me last time!) My boyfriend paid for my time
on the frame, and the batting) so the quilt was from both of us.
A couple close-ups of the blocks:
This was my first time using a flange binding and
although it was more work than my regular binding, I do like the little
pop of color. You make it by stitching two strips of fabric together
lengthwise for the binding, the part you want to be the flange should be
wider than the other strip by about 1/4-1/2 inch. After folding in half
to make the binding the flange side will pop out just a tiny bit! It's
machine sewn to the back of the quilt and folded to the front and
machine sewed down just like my regular binding method.
The quilt was a big hit and his mom cried a little bit when she opened it!
still have another one in bright pink, bright blue, black, lime green,
orange and white. Not sure when I'll finish it but I think that one will
be for me.