Wednesday, May 21, 2014

My Medallion in Progress.

{I'm linking up with the lovely Lee at Freshly Pieced for Wip Wednesday.  Did I mention that I got to meet her at Portland Sew Down in February? She is super sweet and fun, I recall we had a very risque conversation around the dinner table as we showed her how silly we Portlanders are!}

It's really exciting to see how my Medallion is taking shape! We're working about a month ahead of the rest of the guild so we have a few examples to present at each month's meeting. I posted a ways back about my Medallion Center, and wanted to show the progression of the quilt.

So, starting with the Center, a couple of my go-to favorite colors, turquoise (mystery fabric) and lime green (Bonnie and Camille) with some Platinum Painter's Canvas from Laura Gunn, which will be one of my neutral backgrounds I return to time and again.


February/Round 1: My chosen center block was a bit small so I added a narrow border in an Orchid Mystery Fabric to frame it out. Our first round was a simple border with cornerstones so that people could catch up if they hadn't made their medallion yet. The orange fabric is V and Co Simply Color and the cornerstones are Fly a Kite from the Noteworthy collection by Sweetwater.


March/Round 2: March was a lot of work, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. There was a more time consuming option of paper piecing the Xs, but I followed my motto of "Ain't Nobody Got Time for That" and used a slash and insert method instead. The aqua is from Kate and Birdie, the pink are Michael Miller ta-dots (one of my all time faves) and the green is more Noteworthy from Sweetwater. And I returned with that Platinum Painter's Canvas by Laura Gunn.




April/Round 3: This was a simpler round to take some of the pressure off the previous round that was more work. Simple strips with a thin strip of focus fabric and reverse appliqued cornerstone circles. Here I used some more V and Co (the gray in the strips), some Sweet as Honey floral print that I love in the circles and the thin strip, and some Carolyn Friedlander's crosshatch for the circle backgrounds.






May/Round 4: This was my month, so after completing round 4 of the guild medallion quilt, I turned to mine! Here I tried to add as many prints as my need for organization would let me. I included lots of fabrics from previous rounds, as well as added in some dice from Violet Craft and some beaded dots from Mo Bedell. I'm happy to stick with my aquas/turquoises, lime greens, purples, oranges, and yellow, always with a healthy dose of gray! I returned to the Platinum Painter's Canvas again this round.



We'll be adding 4 more rounds all together, ending with September's round. It's really fun to see how all of these different medallions are coming together, since everyone used a different medallion, chooses different options each month, and has wildly different color palettes!

2 comments:

Kitty said...

I just love how this is progressing! Each border really adds to the entire work. I love it! I can't wait to see more!

Bluebell Ridge Handworks said...

This medallion quilt is really developing beautifully!