Friday, March 29, 2013

Woodland Animal Fabric Basket

I made this basket for the Crafty Detective Swap on Craftster, and I have to say that I had a hard time letting it go! I love the owl and deer fabric! I might be making another one for myself.




With some Laura Gunn (my fave designer!) Painter's Canvas on the inside, it's a fun stash builder since it's a bit more interesting than a solid and comes in great colors.








I like the quilting I did on this one, I stitched on each side of the patchwork lines at the top (one walking foot-width away from the line) and then through the middle section. I like the additional quilting lines through the solid color at the bottom, I think it adds some nice visual interest and texture.

The wonderful tutorial is found here:

http://ayumills.blogspot.com/2008/05/tutorial-fabric-basket.html

She says to use "fleece batting" but I just use my normal low-loft quilt batting. I do recommend actually also using a layer of medium to heavy weight interfacing with the lining, I normally do and I did not in this instance and it was a tad flimsier than I would like. I also top stitch around the top of the basket after pressing the lining to the inside to get a nice line (make sure the handles are up!) as a very last step. (I guess she does have you do this, but it's kind of easy to miss in the tutorial).




When I previously made this I made larger sizes also, and recorded the measurements in this post if you want to do the same:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=381759.0#axzz2OxSOPPDj

No comments: