Saturday, June 09, 2012

Low Carb Fried Chicken and Gravy

Cooking is crafty, right? I've been doing some low carbing lately, it really helps to get rid of my sugar cravings and binges. Since I started getting a Farm Share from Zenger Farms I'm even more excited about being able to eat low carb with all my yummy veggies!

Tonight I made the yummiest dinner! Breaded, fried chicken with "gravy" for 3 net carbs!



Recipe:

2 butterflied chicken breasts, lightly pounded just so they were the same thickness
seasoned salt and garlic powder
1/4 cup almond meal
2 T coconut flour
1 T unsweetened coconut (I don't think this added anything, it wasn't coconut tasting, so will omit it next time)
2 T oil for frying

1/4 cup half and half
2 T chopped Italian parsley
red pepper flakes to taste

Heat oil on large pan until a bit of almond flour tossed in sizzles. Mix almond meal and flour in shallow dish, add any other seasonings you like. Season one side of chicken breasts with seasoned salt and garlic powder, then dip both sides in almond mixture. Fry on each side 3-5 minutes, or until browned nicely and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan, and into pan drippings (should be oil left + some of the almond meal mixture that fell off and browned) add half and half and chopped parsley. Cook and stir for a minute for the parsley to wilt, and add red pepper flakes and salt/pepper to taste.

ETA: The 3 net carbs were for eating 3/4 of this recipe, there is half a piece of chicken and some gravy left over.

Next up: Some Kale Chips I am going to attempt to make in my dehydrator! I got the most beautiful Red Russian Kale from the farm yesterday!

No comments: