Monday, June 11, 2012

Mini Sampler Quilt

I made this mini quilt for the Mini Art Quilt Swap 5 on Craftster.org (gallery here). One of my partner's themes was "Whimsical Sampler/Album Quilt." While I loved the idea of a sampler quilt, I had a bit of trouble with the whimsical part. I finally decided that I would go through all my novelty fabrics and pick out some fun ones to include for the "whimsical" part of it. I found clouds, birds, hedgehogs, love bugs, butterflies, cherries, snails, turtles and more!

I found an awesome pattern for the Sew Small Sampler Quilt on the blog Wedding Dress Blue. I decided to not set the blocks on point, and to use white sashing instead of the settings squares.
Each tiny square was 3 1/2 inches after I made it, 3 inches in the finished quilt! I do love tiny piecing!

5_23_2012 006

Because I think it's fun to look at the seams (I generally iron my seams to one side, but a little ways into this project I realized for something so small it would behoove me to iron my seams open).

5_23_2012 002

Backing

5_23_2012 008

A close-up on the quilting. I stitched in the sashing using natural colored thread, and then decided there was just too much white space, so I did some in lavender and blue,created by my friend Cherri and my go-to quilting pattern.

5_23_2012 007

Aaaand my two favorite blocks! Shown with a bobbin to demonstrate the tinyness.


5_21_2012 007
5_21_2012 008

This project gave me the idea to do a Novelty Fabric swap on Craftster, if you'd like to see all the fun fabric coming in, our gallery link is here

No comments: