Monday, October 22, 2012

Machine-less

I've known for a couple months now that I needed to get my machine serviced, but like any good junky getting her fix on,  couldn't give it up! On Saturday I had a Portland Modern Quilt Guild sewing day at Fabric Depot, which happens to house a Montavilla Sewing Shop, my repair shop of choice. After struggling with my machine all day, and after loading everything up in my car in the pouring rain and getting ready to go home, I thought it might behoove me to go in and talk to the repair shop. Twenty minutes later I had learned about some new machines, dropped my sweet Janome off, and found out it would be a couple weeks before I would get it back! Considering how much I have to do right now, that is kind of bummer news.

Luckily, I have arranged to borrow a machine for awhile, so tomorrow I should be in possession of, if not my machine, at least a machine.

I did get quite a bit done on Saturday though. I finished 3 blocks for my Craftster swap and got 5 + more cut out. I also worked on a secret project for a friend that I am not sharing yet. I also got some opinions from various sewing buddies on a couple of baby quilts (not to mention all the chatting and shopping that goes along on a sew day!)

Here's two more Square in a Square blocks, this time for a different swapper than before, and in boy colors with fussy cut novelty fabric centers. The third one I have cut out is frog material, but I decided I didn't have enough of a variety of scraps with me to finish it.




This next one is Elizabeth Hartman's Mod Mosaic Tutorial, which I previously used to make a quilt for my cousin's baby (annnd just realized I never posted here. Nice). It's a time consuming block because of the narrow 1 inch "sashing" between blocks, but the results are totally worth it! I sashed mine in white, and the tutorial examples are also sashed in white, so it was pretty neat to work with a darker color!


No comments: